Re: Regarding Crystal Space and PengiunPlay

> Maybe, maybe not.  I haven't looked into CrystalSpace in great detail
> yet.
> Basically what we are looking for is a C++ 3d graphics API which fits
> into
> the rest of PenguinPlay.  Personally I beleive we need to be much
> clearer
> about what we need out of such an API etc.  than we are before we can
> decide
> whether to write our own API or use an existing one, and if we use an
> existing
> one which.

Sensible approach.

> > However, I see a possibility in writing a port for Crystal Space which
> > directly supports PengiunPlay (just as there are ports for OS/2, Windows, ...).
> > So PengiunPlay could just be seen as another platform to support.
> > Crystal Space already has a port to GGI and I understand PengiunPlay
> > uses this as well?
> PRO:  The idea saves us a lot of work.  There should be no reason why
> you
> cannot do this.  I suppose you would just use the 2d API when it
> matures.
> Also if you are planning to support OpenGL at all, we will be having
> hooks for
> that.

OpenGL is planned.

> CON:  One problem with using CrystalSpace, (or any other theird party
> API) is
> that it impares the consitency of the PenguinPlay interface.

That's very true. One could consider making a 'wrapper' interface whichwould hide the CS interface from PenguinPlay but this is not an ideal
situation.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be
a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Pyramids)