Re: [pygame] Announce: SolarWolf Beta

'Pete Shinners' wrote about '[pygame] Announce: SolarWolf Beta' - Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 08:11:18PM CEST
> SolarWolf is now in beta, and i'm letting you guys know about it.
> This is the game I've been developing with pygame for a couple
> months now, and it is nearly ready for a full release. I'd like
> to get some more testing in on it before then.
>
> Anyways, try it all out, i think you'll be impressed at what
> a python game can do. This has been a lot of work, but I'm
> really happy with the way it all has turned out.
>
> Anyways, there are a lot of features, and I'm pretty sure it
> is bug free at this point. Head to the little website I put
> together for it here;
>
> Planet SolarWolf
> http://www.shinners.org/pete/solarwolf/
>

> I'm excited to get feedback from those of you who
> "haven't seen it yet". let me know how it goes, good or bad.

Hi, I hadn't seen it yet, and tried it.
Here's my blackbox (I didn't peek the code) feedback:

Positive:
+ fun to play, very nice graphics (I played till level 15)
+ runs smooth

Negative:
- newsfetch failed:

rhudaur andete 20:54 ~/tmp/solarwolf % Exception in thread FETCHNEWS:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.0/threading.py", line 376, in __bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.0/threading.py", line 364, in run
    apply(self.__target, self.__args, self.__kwargs)
  File "code/gamenews.py", line 54, in downloadfunc
    os.rename(t, 'news')
OSError: [Errno 18] Invalid cross-device link

- the loading of resources takes almost 5! minutes the first time
  the second time it went in < 1 sec (wait, this could be caused
  by konqueror souping cpu on the animated cubes on your website)

- when you press a direction key and keep it pressed while the
  meter is loading, that key is not used to start movent at the
  moment the level really starts. (You need a fresh keypress)

- I didn't find a way to turn down the music. (Although I liked
  it, I think people will want to turn it off)

Keep up the good work,

Joost