Re: [pygame] Announce: SolarWolf Beta

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:07:21PM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> > Is there a mirror?
>
> eek, yeah the server seems to be a bit tuned out.
> we've just got it in the pygame contrib directory,
>
> http://pygame.seul.org/ftp/contrib/solarwolf-0.91.zip
>
> go ahead and download it from here for the time being

Eventually I managed to get it from shinners.org.  The first
time I've ever seen wget use HTTP to resume a download half
way through - and the first time for ages I've been excited
to see 800k not having to be downloaded again ;-)

Anyway, it's great.  I had a lot of funny zipping about, and
going at warp speed to skip a level.  Got to about level 18
on my second go, and then with a resume managed to wrap round.

It is nowhere _near_ as satisfying running over cubes and them
just changing colour, not disappearing.  I think it could be
harder in different ways... Perhaps having another set of cubes

/bin/bash: mcop: command not found
the ship at all times.   Or increasing the speed of the bullet
shooters, so it is harder to predict where they are.

I like turbo speed, it's great fun.  Really satisfying dodging
round the bullets, and just ducking into the last cube as it
all becomes just a bit too much on the wrong side of possible.

Reminds me of surviving huge fields of bullets in Silkworm
(the horizontal scroller on the ST or Amiga).

The news feed didn't work for me either - unless the beep
just means that there is no news, in which case it should
probably say that somewhere.

I got a segmentation fault once when I finished a game, but I
can reproduce it.  Here's the console output:

/usr/local/games/solarwolf$ ./SolarWolf.py
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
Fatal Python error: Segmentation Fault
Aborted

Other things:
- The .zip file is inconvinient under Unix.  The ^M at the end of each line
(unless you unzip -a) meant I couldn't just run the .py file directly, as Linux
reads the ^M on the first line as being part of the name of python.  Also, you
have to chmod the .py file.  A tar.gz would be better.
- I think it writes to a global directory, which means you can't easily
installed the game in a shared place.  This is the perennial Unix game problem!

Altogether, good work!  I'm impressed at the framerate you're getting from
Python.

Francis

--
Home: francis@flourish.org  Web: www.flourish.org