Re: [pygame] crash when quiting, initing, quiting...

Rene Dudfield wrote:
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?  If someone wants to help, and they need
> the source code I'll be happy to send it along :)
>
> I tried using pygame.init() and pygame.quit() instead but it still crashes.

rene, first make sure you are using the latest version of pygame. there
were a couple reference-count problems that could cause crashes on exit
with pygame (back in the 1.0ish days). Anything with python-1.2 and
above should be safe (can't remember anyone having these types of
problems in awhile)

the other thing i am suspecting is that you are running pygame from IDLE
(or the PythonWin editor). if so, it is the editor that is crashing.
IDLE and PythonWin don't work with graphical programs. you'll either
need to run python from the shell, or run with an editor that works.
you'll have better results with something like IdleFork or Scite.
http://idlefork.sf.net
http://www.scintilla.org

if none of these sound like your problem. the next step will be figuring
out what hardware and drivers are being used. instead of just
"pygame.init" and "pygame.quit", you should try going through the python
modules that need initializing one by one. i'm guessing it'll either be
mixer or display crashing. test them out individually like this,
pygame.display.init(); pygame.display.quit()
pygame.mixer.init(); pygame.mixer.quit()

as of pygame-1.4 and python-2.2, pygame can print out a traceback when a
segfault happens. this might help you narrowing down where exactly you
are crashing (when things get more compilcated then just pygame.init/quit)