[pygame] Per-pixel alpha from a HW surface?

Hi, I'm new to pygame and I'm exploring the various features. I'm on Windows, and haven't had any trouble getting HW surfaces (and the great performance that comes with them). Now I'm playing with per-pixel alpha. I've managed to get such an image to load and display, but only as a SW surface. I don't know how to create a HW surface with per-pixel alpha...whether I can tell image.load() to do it, or if I can convert it, or what. I tried blitting it to a HW surface, but it didn't retain the alpha information (which in retrospect makes perfect sense).

Thanks for any help!