Re: [pygame] using urllib

On 4/19/05, Shandy Brown <sjbrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> can anyone recommend any strategies for using urllib for doing simple
> pulling of information with pygame?
>
> the urlopen and urlretrieve functions block, which is not ideal for
> pygame apps.  how have people dealt with this, by starting a Thread?
>
> If a Thread was used, how has the info been put back into the pygame
> mainloop?  Can you put an event on the pygame event queue from the new
> thread?

If you are using urllib, your only choice is to put it in a separate
thread. The document doesn't really mention anything about the thread
safety of the pygame.event module, so I would assume the worst. The
easiest and safest way to pass the data between the threads is
probably by using the Queue module from Python
(http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/module-Queue.html).

--
Sami Hangaslammi