Re: [pygame] Character Movement

Kris Schnee wrote:
Charles Christie wrote:
I send the event.unicode to the move function, which makes the character move. However, I don't think I can use event.unicode to send keyup events. So that means when the person presses the button to move, when they release the button they won't stop moving. That's a Very Bad Thing. If you want to see my (really badly written) code I can send it if you want it.

Hi. I'm not sure whether this is what you mean, but are you reading KEYDOWN and KEYUP events, or just using pygame.key.get_pressed() to see what keys are pressed at any given moment? If you use KEYDOWN and/or KEYUP you can respond only once to each keypress.

(That is: "for event in pygame.event.get: if event.type == KEYDOWN: if event.key == K_a: blah blah...")

You're the one doing the typing action game, right? I found it was best, for a typing interface, to use KEYDOWN events plus a checking of get_pressed (to see whether a shift key was down) to decide what character the user actually wanted to type.

Got any screenshots?
Charles - feel free to give out the svn url if you want to let people check it out.
It's set up for anonymous read but not write access, so you should be fine (no sabotage).

-Luke