[pygame] BufferProxy (was Flood Filling Images)

I was told about Surface.get_buffer() which returns a BufferProxy object, and after some poking around in help() and other documentation I'm still confused about how to actually use it. (I see the bufferproxy file is a .so file, so will I have to use some C fun to do anything more with it other than importing? The documentation in help() mentioned they should be created with C...) My main question is how to use the buffer for things like changing pixel information (the raw attribute makes little sense to me), updating the surface it came from, and properly deleting the buffer, as del didn't appear to do the trick. I think example code would be most beneficial.