Re: [pygame] best gsoc idea EVER for someone: porting pygame to SDL 1.3

pymike <pymike93@xxxxxxxxx>:

Yeah it does look like a massive project, but I was drooling as I read the
list - Multiple windows? Rumble pad? Multiple mice? OpenGL acceleration?
Heck yeah! If no one snaps it up, will pgreloaded convert to SDL 1.3?

No, but once SDL 1.3 is marked as stable (enough), it can and will wrap its
API under an own module namespace, so that you will have something like

'pygame2.sdl12' for the SDL 1.2 API and
'pygame2.sdl13' for SDL 1.3 and
'pygame2.sdl' pointing towards the most recent SDL API.

So, the current pygame2.sdl should move to pygame2.sdl12 and an alias
should be added, which links pygame2.sdl to pygame2.sdl12 until SDL 1.3 is
stable enough. It should be given a second thought, though, to find out
about problems with module aliases, compatibility and so on.

Maybe some method like use_sdl_version () might be suitable for forcing the
one or other version to be used as pygame2.sdl...

Regards
Marcus