Re: [pygame] API draft for vector type

On Apr 27, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Brian Fisher wrote:

I don't see a 3 element vector type being useful from a pygame perspective. What pygame api anywhere even takes 3 element lists aside from colors? (which already have a special struct type thing)

I'd have to disagree with this myself, since pygame+pyOpenGL is a fairly popular combo, it seems like omitting 3d vectors on the grounds that most pygames are 2D is too minimalist. OTOH, I don't think it needs 4D vectors. 1D vectors, however, would be awesome ;^)

... and a 3 element vector (and quaternions and matrices) being part of pyOpenGL, that sounds great too...

I could be wrong, but I don't think pyOpenGL strives to provide such tools, which are not strictly part of the OpenGL api. Whereas pygame does try to provide such lower-level abstractions.

Of course you could make a slippery slope argument here, where there is soon demand for more 3D tools given 3D vectors, like rectangular prisms, etc.

-Casey