[pygame] pygame.midi

Hello!

I recently wrote an application for configuration of Akai's USB EWI
and I used PyAlsa's (Python extension of Alsa) sequencer API.
After tracking down and fixing at least three bugs (most of which
concerning segfaults tediously tracked down in gdb) and mailing
back and forth the maintainer I realized it would take a lot of
time and energy since I have no easy access to apply patches.
I also realized porting would be an issue. Enter pygame.

So, enough background, here are some questions: I'm sending
NRPN's and Sysex's, does the following functionality work
in pygame.midi?

1) List connected MIDI devices (if possible with capabilities)
2) Connect duplex (read/write)
3) Send events
4) Read events
5) List active port connections
6) What other dependencies will be added to Linux, OSX and Windows

Is it possible to download just the midi module somewhere and build
it to work with my current version of pygame (1.8.1-3)?

Anybody else interrested in EWI's who might want to add support for
their device, maybe we can work it in with my Akai project.

/Peter