[pygame] Multiplayer

I want to make an open source multiplayer game roughly along the lines of M.U.L.E.  I've made games before but never done online multiplayer, so I want to ask for a nudge in the right direction.  I'd like to spare players behind routers the trouble of dealing with port forwarding (I didn't have to do it when hosting Alpha Centauri games, so I know it's possible).  Unless pgreloaded is far enough along and tools exist for Python 3 (which I'd prefer), I'll probably have to use the older stuff.

What's out there for Python that would be suitable?  Any off-the-shelf solutions?