[pygame] Advice for loading ply files?

I've been looking for a good way to load the .ply files from the McGill shape benchmark in python:
http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~shape/benchMark/
It's for a machine learning project, but what I'm doing is basically making a simple game environment for neural networks to learn from.
So far my strategy has been to convert the .ply files to .3ds with Blender, then try to load them with .3ds loading code from the internet, but that has crashed two different 3ds libraries. I'm not sure if the problem is with blender or what.
Thanks,
Ian