Re: [pygame] pygame.image.save(...)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a related email thread here, I've been trying (now successfully) to
> render a movie from a series of frames captured from a program I wrote.
>
> The screen capturing is done via pygame.image.save(...).  In my case, the
> surfaces that are being saved are derived from OpenGL framebuffer readbacks.
>
> I've noticed that the first few dozen or so frames save in a fraction of a
> second, while subsequent frames take increasingly longer.  This, obviously,
> gets annoying.  I do not know why this is.  Can someone please explain?

Sounds like you're leaking memory somewhere, or maybe just you're
re-allocating space for your temporary framebuffers and the
interpreter's not garbage-collecting them fast enough?
Check your memory usage while you run your app.  If it shoots up right
away to some really high number, you should be suspicious.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that the saves are taking
longer?  How are you timing them?  Are they taking so long that they
take longer than your frame-rate?

-Luke