[pygame] Whoa! Bad slowdown!

I have actually mentioned this project of mine on this list before, but it was about a Windows-specific issue. This time, it's about slowdown. Now, my laptop is very low-end, so it's not surprising to me when I experience lag in particularly graphically-intensive games, but this is ridiculous.

All the files of my project can be found in this download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pbr8kubwu9q7vg0

The slowdown I'm experiencing (under Fedora 14/GNOME, at least) is a ridiculous level. Each frame takes something like 10-20 seconds, which is just plain unimaginable. I have looked through my code, and I find nothing which should cause this massive scale of slowdown. A fair amount of stuff happens, and even some pixel work with surfarray happens, but I would not expect any less than maybe 10 FPS, and that's really stretching it.

Most of the slowdown seems to occur in the PlayerSprite.update and PlayerView.update methods. Looking at the system monitor, it seems that the program is eating up clock cycles like a starving lion. My question is: can anyone see a good reason why these methods would cause as much slowdown as they do? If so, any recommendations for optimizing it better?

Thanks! :)