[pygame] Problems installing to cygwin/w2000

(message originally sent yesterday to pete s.)

Hello,
I would appreciate a pointer or two if you have a moment...

I'm a reasonably experienced self-taught programmer (perhaps 25 yrs
exp.), just being slightly lazy following a 24h stint of trying to get
pygame to work !
OK It does work with demos, I just can't build it and use it from
Python.

Of course I've read through FAQs and fullinstall.txt and searched around

on google and sourceforge and freshmeat and so on...

PLATFORM Windows 2000, with Cygwin installed, and Python and Numeric
(after a bit of a struggle)

I don't have cl.exe (Visual C/C++) so am trying to cross-compile using
gcc within cygwin.

My WINDOWS attempt :
Unfortunately (and this is why I'm emailing now as well as continuing to

try to find prob. myself) the config.py
script only works from a windows prompt (where it says 'building for
windows', finds the ./prebuilt directory with lib and include)
Yet when I try to do "./setup.py" after the successful windows
./config.py it fails
Obviously really... as no cl.exe... ho hum...

So at about 6pm last night (ugh) I though, oh that's easy, I'll just
cross-compile from cygwin with gcc.
I couldn't get the 'prebuilt' install to build at all, so decided to try

a full compilation of all libraries (zlib/jpeg/SDL_mixer &c.)
* * * More fool me * * *
After about 9 hrs I gave up temporarily because eyes closed
involuntarily...

*** THE PROBLEM:
This morning trying again, and same problem basically... ./config.py
can't find anything from within cygwin
and I don't have the VisualC compiler to build things from within
windows

QUESTION:
>>> Can I succeed... can I build it on cygwin... (using the ./prebuilt
binaries) ?
Or must I build everything...if using cygwin ?

REASON for prebuilt binaries, because last night was a horrendous mess
of trying to build freetype, then SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer and so on
Almost none of which worked without loads of hacking about at the
various setup, ltconf, libtool and so on.
I think I built freetype OK, and png and jpeg and zlib, but I've removed

all that now as SDL build got stuck and couldn't resolve (in the end)
"_assert", which
I was trying to fix by including libcrtdll or something (memory fades
after a session...), but by then I was in the realms
of "'oh goodness I don't know enough about a) Python, b) cygwin, c) SDL,

d) libtool, e) m4 (ugh!)" and there's only so far that
I can get by the seat of my pants... if you know what I mean.

So I thought I'd ask the expert... not something I usually do this
early, but I'm sufficiently out of depth in 5 dimensions of 'new to me'
things now !

I would be really, really grateful for a pointer as to how to build the
'prebuilt' SDL/pygame with all the _mixer,_smpeg &c. but without
having to build everything, e.g. I'd rather not go through zlib/jpeg &c.

again :-)
Preferably from within cygwin

Can you help ? (or even just say "Yes it will work... just be
persistent..." - even that would be encouraging... of course if you know

it can't be built without VisualC++
then I'll just have to try the whole thing again on a linux box... phew)

Oh I do hope yr. not on holiday :-)

Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me.

peter

SUPPLEMENTARY(next day)
I managed to get setup.py to run (by changing the incdir and libdir to
lists as sdl-config returns
libs and include strings which give more than one directory....)

HOWEVER... the setup.py fails, I do
    ./setup.py install
and get about 20x errors ('unrecognized argument -mwindows', next line
'unrecognized argument -mno_cygwin')
and then this :-

"""
running install
running build
running build_py
warning: build_py: package init file 'lib/__init__.py' not found (or not

a regul
ar file)
warning: build_py: package init file 'lib/__init__.py' not found (or not

a regul
ar file)
running build_ext
building 'pygame.imageext' extension
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DUSE_DL_IMPORT -Dmain=DL_main
-DWIN32 -Uun
ix -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/SDL -I/usr/include/mingw
-I/usr/inc
lude/python2.1 -c src/imageext.c -o
build/temp.cygwin_nt-5.0-1.3.2-i686-2.1/imag
eext.o
In file included from /usr/local/include/SDL/SDL.h:33,
                 from src/pygame.h:63,
                 from src/imageext.c:28:
/usr/local/include/SDL/SDL_main.h:51: warning: `main' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
In file included from /usr/include/python2.1/pyport.h:110,
                 from /usr/include/python2.1/Python.h:54,
                 from src/pygame.h:57,
                 from src/imageext.c:28:
/usr/include/sys/select.h:28: parse error before `fd_set'
"""

Which has thrown me somewhat as :
a) I had expected gcc to not be invoked because, after all, this is
supposed to be the compiler free installation !
and
b) The error is so wierd (main redefined) and seemingly unrelated, it
looks more like wrong C libraries or something (to
my 'haven't done much C for about 5 yrs' head anyway

ho hum... (again)

Would, as before, very much appreciate a pointer.

I presume I'm doing something stupid, because I can't believe anyone
would use pygame if it's this much hassle, compared with Numeric - which

the web (via google) seemed to think would be awkward to install,...
it's strange that pygame is such a problem... hence I'm presuming its
me.