[pygame] Hardware Accelerated Scrolling Text

hey all-

	I've been playing with PyGame for quite some time now, but I'll be
damned if I can find a convenient way to scroll text/images in a window
without killing my CPU, and without having to go fullscreen.

Information:

Hardware:
CPU:	Athlon XP 2500+
GPU:	Nvidia 5200 FX

Software:
OS: Fedora Core 1
Nvidia Driver: 1.0-6111
Python: 2.2.3
Pygame: 1.6
PyOpenGL: 2.0.1.08
PIL: 1.1.4

Combinations tried:
SDL/x11 driver - software only, uses 50%+ CPU
SDL/dga driver - hardware reported working, only fullscreen, uses 50%+
CPU
PyOpenGL - uses 99% CPU (any python app, including examples, seems to
max out the CPU)

Stats:
glxgears - > 700 fps
glxinfo -> confirms direct rendering

	I'm at a total loss here. Surely there's a simple way to scroll
text/images in a window smoothly, without killing a modern CPU?

	I can provide sample source code if it would help, but any
recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve Castellotti