Re: [pygame] IDLE crashes on error?

On Aug 11, 2006, at 3:38 PM, James Hofmann wrote:

--- morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi folks,

Python/Pygame newbie here. Really liking it so far,
but I've resorted to
using Notepad. It seems like any time I execute code
with errors in it --
simple syntax errors, not endless while loops or
anything -- IDLE freezes.
Also, and I don't know if this is related, but
sys.exit() doesn't actually
close my windows when I'm running things from IDLE.
They just freeze.

IDLE version 1.1.3, Python version 2.4.3, any
help/advice appreciated.

IDLE runs your code in the same operating system process, which means that anything that crashes your code may crash IDLE, too, and also changes the behavior of your code as with sys.exit(). You can use it as the editor or for tests in the console, but run pygame code elsewhere.

IDLE definitely has an option to use a subprocess for interpreters. Turn it on, then this problem goes away.

-bob