[pygame] How much python experience needed?

Here is the story, hopefully I can make it short. So I wanted to pick up a language in general, I tried, perl, then C and didnt click with any of those. So later I tried python and it was descent, I was clicking with it. Later I became interested in web dev and saw how python does web sites and I didnt like the CGI thing and tried PHP. I really clicked with php and learning the basics was pretty easy for me. I learned about
-variables
-operators
-forms
-loops
-SQL
-files
-arrays
-functions

I pretty much have this stuff down really well. I didnt go too far with the php/sql tutorial, just enough to get what I needed done. So after 3-4 months I made a nifty php/postgresql web app for license management. Keep in mind php is my first language. You can see a demo if its up at www.rabblesoft.com

Anyways so after all that web dev stuff, I am now focused on games. My goal is to make 2D simple games such as the games on NES. Some specific examples I am interested and want to make games like are, Double Dragon, Mario 1, some vertical/horizontal shooters.

1 thing I dont like about many languages is that they cover many areas. For example, you can use Python for web pages, gui apps, games and more. With PHP I just dived into making sites since PHP is mainly for making web sites. So  I wanted to know how much Python do I have to learn before I can start using pygame?

Hopefully my php skills will help with learning python but I do have some past python experience. I know pretty much know the same stuff I know in PHP in python as well except for SQL and website stuff. I know:

-variables
-operators
-loops
-files
-arrays
-functions

So how much farther do I have to go with python, what key subjects do I need to know about besides the ones I mentioned I already know?

My last experience with pygame was that I had trouble with documentation, it was like "here is a list of functions bye!" I could harldy understand how to use the functions and which ones to use. I saw about 3 total newb tutorials, some about blitting and other things.

Any tips and advice are welcome!

Thanks

http://www.boringdays.com