Re: [pygame] PixelArray question

On 8/27/07, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ah, I mean we need to make a surfarray module with the PixelArray
> module - so that the surfarray keeps backwards compatibility.
>
> So the plan is to make a python module which uses PixelArray to make a
> surfarray compatible module.

So If I've got the idea here right - the idea is to have pygame have a
surfarray and sndarry module that return a PixelArray or such class
instead of a numeric array, right?

I don't have any surfarray or sndarray based code in any of my
projects - but it seems to me that if I did, unless the objects
returned were 100% compatible and performance comparable with numeric
arrays, I would rather have the surfarray and sndarray modules
continue to be compiled in as they are - optional modules with a
dependency on numeric. Basically the dependency situation wouldn't be
any worse than it was before, and it would give me the highest
confidence my code is still good.

Then for people who don't want to have code dependent on numeric, they
can just write their code to use the new "PixelArrayView" object,
which you have to use differently.

So I guess basically I'm asking, do people really want to have
surfarray change to be (mostly) compatible sans numeric, or would it
be better to have the old stuff be as is, and just have a new system
unencumbered by having to simulate the old one?