Re: [pygame] how to remove spam comments in pygame wiki

René Dudfield wrote:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:renesd@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    it's on my todo list to clean them up.  I've got some scripts to do
    it...

    cheers,

I forgot to mention... the spam comments were removed a couple of days ago.

Also the new documentation for pygame 1.9.0 is up there too.

Contrary to what Marcus said, there have been many of the doc comments integrated into the documentation already - in the 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 releases and some in the 1.9.0 series.

It took me weeks to go through them last time, and now there are around 350 of them. So I decided that the latest lot of doc comments would stay in until the next release - since it probably would take a number of weeks to integrate them and delay the release. Also I didn't feel like spending all my spare time going through them in one big block... much better to do them slowly over the whole 1.9.1 release.

For those interested, there's about 10x more comments from anonymous people than from people logged in. We saw approximately the same 10x drop off in valid contributions to the wiki when we started to require a login for that.

cu,

Thanks for taking care of the comments/docs.

And I have to agree on the log in thing. I just hate to be hassled to create
an account with every single website I visit, just for reporting a minor glitch
or leaving a comment. So mostly I end up thinking to myself "Fuck that! If they
don't want my comments it's their loss..." and leave. It took me some years
before I decided to at least create accounts for the bug trackers of a few
projects (pygame, python, gentoo and kde). So if you ask me: *don't* require
log in for commenting.
But I do think captchas are fine if they help reduce the spam.

yours
//Lorenz