[pygame] Compiling without SDL_gfx

When I try to change the pygame(2) makefile to keep it from linking to SDL_gfx, it doesn't work. The README file contains this example on how to disable SDL_gfx:

WITH_SDL_GFX=[yes|no|1|True]    Example: make -DWITH_SDL_GFX=1

    Build and install the pygame2.sdlgfx module. This wraps the
    SDL_gfx library.

If I try to run that command, make tells me "invalid option -- 'D'". Anybody got an explanation? Thanks.

--
Evan Kroske
http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/