Re: [pygame] pygame.midi not working on Ubuntu Jaunty?

More details on what I am seeing:

$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
128:0     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 0
128:1     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 1
128:2     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 2
128:3     TiMidity                          TiMidity port 3

pmidi shows I have midi ports.

$ vkeybd --addr 128:0

Works and sounds fine.

$ python midi.py --list
 0: interface :ALSA:, name :Midi Through Port-0:, opened :0:  (output)
 1: interface :ALSA:, name :Midi Through Port-0:, opened :0:  (input)
 2: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 0:, opened :0:  (output)
 3: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 1:, opened :0:  (output)
 4: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 2:, opened :0:  (output)
 5: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 3:, opened :0:  (output)

The pygame midi test can see all the midi ports.

$ python midi.py --output 2
 0: interface :ALSA:, name :Midi Through Port-0:, opened :0:  (output)
 1: interface :ALSA:, name :Midi Through Port-0:, opened :0:  (input)
 2: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 0:, opened :0:  (output)
 3: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 1:, opened :0:  (output)
 4: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 2:, opened :0:  (output)
 5: interface :ALSA:, name :TiMidity port 3:, opened :0:  (output)
using output_id :2:

Running midi.py with --output 2 looks great but no sound.

Still looking for ideas.
Thanks
gb

Gary Bishop wrote:
Yes, timidity is in the list and as I said, works fine from the vkeybd app connects to it and works fine.
gb

Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Gary Bishop wrote:
I'm trying out the new pygame.midi on Ubuntu Jaunty. I'm running
examples/midi.py in output mode on Python 2.6.2 with pygame 1.9.1 built
from source without errors. portmidi and porttime were found during the
build.

The vkeybd app works so I know midi output (timidity) works fine.

examples/midi.py displays properly and does not produce any error
messages but it produces no sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks
gb

Hi Gary,

Try the --list option on examples/midi.py to see if a virtual timidity output port is present. Getting some form of midi working with alsa is a hassel.

Lenard Lindstrom