Re: [pygame] Tilesets and Charsets

 I have spent 2 years looking for graphics for the pygame RPG, BloodCurse. CC/PD/open-source graphics that are of high-quality virtually do not exist. With that said, there are some high-quality, and extensive graphics out there that are still free to use. Here are a few of the best sources I have found:

The Charas Project
http://charas-project.net/resources.php?lang=en
This site offers a very large collection of graphics. However, this is the least recommended site, as a small amount of the graphics are questionably ripped from commercial games, thus making it hard to be fully sure which are safe to use.

Lorestrome Pixel Archive
http://lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/main.htm
This is the, if not one of, my all-time favorite graphics resources. The graphics here are of really high quality, and all created by the same talented artist for a consistent look. The artist was contacted via email and he even has no problem releasing these graphics with an open-source game with the proper credit given. All he states is to give his website metnion and not to use them in a commerical product.

--------------------------------------

The following sites are in Japanese. These sites have graphics created by respected Japanese groups and their fans that all create free graphics for use in games. The license for the graphics on all of these sites are the same and can be translated as follows:

License:
You must not use the graphic data which is in this software for no purpose except playing this game. To get these resources, go to the websites. The graphics at the websites above may be altered and used in any game free or commercial if you agree to these terms. The original untranslated license agreements can be viewed at:
REFMAP: http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/modules/refmap/
Mack:  http://cyocorune.cocolog-nifty.com/daily_vx/2008/12/post-9408.html

Toraneko's site
http://www.k3.dion.ne.jp/~toraneko/sozai.html
Very nice character sprite sets and tiles. These graphics fall under the license above.

RPG Tukuru
http://usui.moo.jp/rpg_tukuru.html
Almost everything you could want. Lots of face sets, icons, and character sprites. These graphics fall under the license above.

Yaosame
http://tenmillion.s80.coreserver.jp/yaosame/
Some nice face and character sets. This site is hard to navigate so be careful you don't miss any links when browsing through it. It's best to index it with a spidering tool such as wget. The graphics are under the same license as above.

Popoyan
http://popoyan.web.fc2.com/a_sozaimenu.html
Again, some nice character and face sets under the same license.

There are many more FSM/REFMAP sites with even more quality artwork. Browsing the webring on their sites will yield great results. These are by far some of the best resources on the Internet for games, commercial or free.

I hope this will get you started,
Michael Fiano,
BloodCurse Team Leader