Re: [pygame] a little game help with text coding.

V Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:35:42 +0100
sam.hacking@xxxxxxxx napsÃno:

> Hi Martin,
>
> If I understand correctly, you want the game to muddle up the words
> for the player. The higher the player's lang skill the less muddled
> up it will be.

100% correct

> I think this is a cool idea, the only other place I have seen
> something like this is the Al Bhed language in Final Fantasy X, which
> was much simpler.

Last played [and finished :)] FF7 long time ago on PSX.

> It simply substituted letters, like A=E, B=F or
> something, then you would find objects that translate a letter.

This was my first idea but this seems too much easy to translate.

> Your
> idea is much more intriguing.

Thanks but i've seen this long time ago on PSX too. I dont remember how
this 'muddling' was implemented in game coz i dont remember his name.
This was platform game with little pink pig [ i think]. Eh its Tombi!.

> As for the code, I can make it a little more elegant by replacing the
> block of "if lang_level == x" with:
>
> if len(word) < lang_level*2:
>     new_words.append(word)
> else:
>     start = word[0]
>     if lang_level > 1:
>         end = word[-1]
>         middle = list(word[1:-1])
>     else:
>         end = ""
>         middle = list(word[1:])
>     random.shuffle(middle)
>     middle = "".join(middle)
>     new_words.append(start + middle + end)

yes this is cleaner :).
My code was about few lines and copy&paste.
May be i play Tombi! again and reimplement code :)

> That does the same thing dynamically based on level. As for making it
> more sophisticated, you could consider messing with the order of the
> words in a sentence or something. Maybe at level 4 you can understand
> all the words but they are in a random order requiring you to reread
> the sentence to make sense of it, and levels above 4 will sort out
> the order of the words so it takes less mental effort to work out
> what people are saying.

BTW:
I resurrected my old game engine planed for GP2X and rewrite code for
new Py coz on GP2X is still old 2.5.
Still no NPC yet, quests. Only few Enemies.

http://www.tbs-software.com/spookyln/vids/adv.mp4

sorry for quality, my computer was busy on background.

PS: GFX is not mine off course. i'm not graphician and i need some
pixels to test it.If any on this mailing list is author i!m so sorry.