[pygame] Smooth animation

Hi all. Thinking on the precedent question on framerate I've elaborated another
strange question. If I need to move my sprite slowly, for instance, I move it
1 pixel every frame update, and when I need to move it quickly instead 5 pixels
per frame update. The problem is that a sprite which "jump" 5 pixels per frame
don't have a smooth animation, and if I need to move it faster, this situation
became worse. I thought that the solution was trying to move it always 1 pixel
per frame, and setting a different drawing delay for every speed.

For example, if my game use to run at 60fps and my ship have a speed of 5 pixels
per frame, after 1 second my ship will have run throught 300 pixels.
This means that(using the precedent solution) I should update my ship 300 times
per second, moving it 1 pixel at time. However this solution has two big problems:
- I need to update every sprite in different ways
- It's virtually impossible to respect those update times

Is there a better way?

thank you