[pygame] App stops responding when minimized

I coded a little slideshow for my own use and used pygame for the graphics
drawing part. I noticed though that even thoug I use

pygame.time.wait(250)

in every iteration of the mainloop to keep the app from running faster
than 4 fps it sometimes stops responding when it's minimized.

I check for events on every iteration so I don't know what's wrong.

And something else, does anybody know how can I make a pygame window
"always on top" under windows without using external apps? I know it's OT.