[pygame] Pygame problems on Linux

Howdy,

  Just got Linux installed again, and am trying to install Pygame on it. I'm
using Slackware 9.x and compiling from Pygame 1.6.2 source, with Python
2.3.1. After compiling the SDL_mixer, SDL_image, and SDL_font libs, Pygame
recognizes these and compiles ok with them, but my game (and other games, in
the examples directory) doesn't run. Well, it runs, but does nothing. No
errors, no screen appears or anything, the terminal just sits there until I
stop it.
  Earlier, before I had the mixer, image, and fonts libs installed (my game
uses mixer and image), I'd see the Pygame window momentarily pop up, the
terminal would spit out some errors about mixer not being present, and it
stopped. It looks like the hang-up happens after importing everything but
before calling pygame.init().....after hitting Ctrl-c a couple times to kill
the thing, I see the message I put in to be printed after pygame.init(), and
a window briefly appears. My guess is it's hanging on pygame.init().
  Any ideas? I've also hit a solid brick wall on getting numeric and smpeg to
compile, but I won't bore you with that. :P (I don't need numeric at all, and
will only need smpeg if/when I decide to use MP3's for music in my game). I
really don't want to have to keep running back to Windows just to work on my
game. >:(
  Strangely, before I installed the extra SDL stuff and recompiled Pygame to
support these, the code got past the init function and got to the point where
I defined sounds, because it threw an error at the first line of sound stuff
(which happens after init) about there not being any mixer.

	-Matt Bailey

PS: Here's the apparant hang-up, according to strace (last two lines that
strace show):

access ("/dev/dsp0", F_OK              = 0
open ("/dev/dsp0", 0_WRONLY