[pygame] SndArray Question

I've built a crude speech synthesizer, and am thinking about how it could be improved. I'm having trouble, though, because I don't understand the format that Pygame uses in its SndArray module. Eg:

CHIMES = "chimes.wav" ## The name of a WAV file in this directory.
pygame.init()
x = pygame.mixer.Sound(CHIMES)
x_arr = pygame.sndarray.array(x)
x_arr[:5] ## Look at the first few entries.
Result:
array([[2, 3],
       [9, 6],
       [7, 2],
       [5, 0],

What does this data mean, exactly? I assume that since the length depends on the sound's length and each entry is a two-part list, and the pairs of numbers usually are the same, each entry represents stereo frequency data at a point in time. Is this so? If so, where's the volume data?

Kris