[pygame] raw_input() and pygame.event.get()

How can I prevent key presses performed during a call to raw_input() from being added to pygame's event queue? I've tried calling pygame.event.clear() after the call to raw_input(), but KEYDOWN events are still processed by pygame.event.get() once the PyGame window gets focus back from the console window. I've also tried calling set_blocking(KEYDOWN)/set_blocking(None) and set_blocking(KEYDOWN)/set_allowed(None), but that results in no events being processed by pygame.event.get()

Thoughts?