[pygame] Game server login encryption

I'm currently writing a networked game and I'm about to write a proper implementation of the logon server. I would prefer to have some sort of encryption but would like some opinions. The way I see it either I can take a hash of some data eg. username, password, port and ip and check the hash against one generated on the server. Alternatively I could use twisted conch tunneling through ssh. I anybody has any opinions on either of these ideas or anything else that might be useful, fire away.
Cheers,
Adam.