Re: [pygame] Why does my ball vibrate?

Ian Mallett wrote:
On Dec 5, 2007 4:03 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Actually, it does -- a photon is an example of an object
    with no mass. Such an object always travels at the speed
    of light -- it doesn't even need a push to get it going.
It's fundamentally incapable of standing still.
Heh heh.  Try hitting that with a paddle.

    While it has no mass, it does have both energy and
    momentum, both of which are proportional to its frequency.

Momentum is defined as mass*velocity. If mass is zero, how does a photon have momentum?

    These are conserved in any collision, so when it
    bounces off a wall, the wall gains some momentum, just
    as it would if a massive particle with the same
    momentum bounced off it. And if the wall starts to
    move as a result, then it has also gained some energy,
    which must have come from the photon, so the reflected
    photon must be red-shifted slightly (longer wavelength
= lower frequency = less energy). All this is true, but /how/ exactly does a massless particle have momentum?
I don't pretend to understand the implications of this discussion, but it sounds to me like, at the speed of light, frequency is analogous to mass at lower speeds?