[pygame] Text at an angle

I've got kind of an odd problem: I need to be able to display text at
an angle.  I just spent the past %(FAR_TOO_MANY)s hours trying to find
a way to get at FreeType's support from Python, but I'm really having
no luck.  The best I found was an interface to libgd, but I couldn't
figure out a way to extract the data to pygame or numpy efficiently.

Anybody got a suggestion for a way to do this?  I assume that
render->rotate doesn't give very good quality.  I was thinking maybe
render (2x size)->rotate->scale, but I don't know how much better
that's likely to be.

-FM