[pygame] sound crackle fix? update version?

I haven't used sound in pygame, so its my first time trying it. My
code causes sound to make a 'crackle'. The few sounds I tested all
make this same sound. ( At first I thought maybe I bugged the source
sound files, but, they sound right in winamp / audacity. )

To see if its my code, I tested it in idle. This code causes crackle
as well. ( Maybe more of a click than crackle?)

	pygame.mixer.init()
	s = pygame.mixer.Sound( path + "\CMaj.mp3" )
	s.play()

I tested if the filepath is right, if its wrong, I get no sound.

Any Ideas what to do? Mailing list looked like maybe certain
mixer.pre_init(...) values may, or may not help.

And could it be certain versions work better? [ pygame 1.8.0 , win32 XP ]

(side note: does the sound format matter? I believe its monno-channel,
mp3. wierd thing is windows says duration is 0:00:00 , but load it
into winamp / audacity it looks right. )

--
Jake