[pygame] dmg files vs .zip files on OSX?

Hi,

it seemed pip used to mistake all .zip files for being source packages, and got confused by our .mpkg.zip binaries for OSX.  That has been patched in pip now, but it might take another 5 or so years before everyone upgrades...  So, I need to know if .dmg files for OSX are ok?  I seem to recall some reason why .zip were preferred over .dmg files... but I can not remember the reason!  I think .dmg files are ok now, since major projects like VLC etc all use .dmg files.  So maybe the reason does not exist anymore with modern OSX. I plan on creating new .dmg files from the existing .zip files, and linking to them from the download page.

tldr;
Are .dmg files ok for binaries on OSX now?

cheers,