[pygame] Difference between Pygame 1.9.2pre, 1.9.2a0, 1.9.2...

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to Pygame after switching our project over from Pyglet. There are several new features in Pygame 1.9.2 which we'd like to use, but I'm confused about the various packages and the state of 1.9.2. For example, what's the difference between 1.9.2 "pre" and "a0"?

Also it seems that the 1.9.2a0 builds available for download are over 3 years old. I wonder if there's an estimate of when 1.9.2 might move beyond the alpha stage?

Finally, one of the things I'm interested in is the freetype support, but it seems that that isn't in the 1.9.2.a0 build?

Or should I just be building all these from source?

Our application currently runs on Python 2.6 & 2.7. I'm fine to make 2.7 a requirement if we need it for Pygame 2.7. (We're also considering moving to Python 3 for the unicode support, so if Pygame 1.9.2 is better on Python 3 then that might help us make that decision.)

Anyway I've spent several hours googling and reading through the list about this but unfortunately it's left me more confused than ever. I'm spending about 40 hours a week working on our project and I'm happy to help out with Pygame testing as needed.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

--
Brian Madden
Mission Pinball (blog | twitterMPF software framework | sample games)