Re: [pygame] pygame for OSX

Bob Ippolito wrote:

The pygame library can be distributed separately (into site-packages), but the rub is that you can't start pygame programs from the command line without ninja skills (using python 2.2) unless they're in an application bundle.
With the Python-2.3a1 that I downloaded from the wxPython site, there are no more of these oddities, and the patch I just sent Pete lets pygame compile and run on this Python distro (and hopefully any other Mac OS X version -- it removed hard-coded links to the framework 2.2 distribution). I think it's time we start providing a binary pygame installer .pkg for both a framework 2.2 and a framework 2.3a1 build of Python!

Along these lines, it might be nice if user's code could specify an app name and icon other than the default pygame. I know this would be possible using some of the aforementioned ninja tricks, but the straight pygame as it stands set these things to their pygame defaults as part of the Mac OS X specific code, and even if your code re-sets them later, users still see the pygame icon for a brief period. Unfortunately, this stuff is set during the initial "import pygame", so passing parameters to that code may be tricky -- environment variables perhaps?

Cheers!
Andrew