Re: [pygame] Why do we do this?

Simon Wittber (Maptek) wrote:
I would guess that most people on this list enjoy programming, playing
games, and programming games.

I am wondering, why? What motivates you, what started you on this path?
And why have we picked pygame?

These are not rhetorical questions, I am interested to see your
extra inspiration!
interesting question. my answers may not be unique, but after a bit of pondering i can come up with this.

who can explain why people end up 'enjoying' different interests? gaming and programming have certainly been high on my list since they were even an option. i think programming games is a unique form of programming because you get to interact with your code so closely. often the results of simple code can surprise you in ways you didn't expect, once you get to "see" and "play" with it.

as for using python and sdl. i've been a c programmer for a long time. i stumbled across python and sdl at around the same time. both of these really struck me as something i'd want to learn and use.

learning python over the past couple years has been the biggest surprise to me. other languages i've used give me the mentality of "get the language to do what i want", whereas python is more directly "just do what you want". creating games and samples with python has really opened my eyes to what programming can be like. i often find myself thinking "it can't be done yet, that was too easy".

anyways, in the end the best part about pygame and python is they allow me to do one thing i've never been able to do, "finish" a game.

--
"if they keep silent, the very stones will cry out"
pete*shinners.org