[pygame] drawing a mouse cursor

I need to draw my own cursor because the cursor needs to change depending what tool the user has selected. It's drawing the cursor fine but it seems to leap from point to point instead of following instead of gliding to the right place. Is there a way to make the program sample the cursor position more often or anything else I could do to make the cursor movement more smooth? I'm just using the MOUSEMOTION event.. anything better I could do?