[pygame] Pixel Editor

Quick question all.  I currently, actively develop in both Macintosh
and Windows operating systems.  I have finally found my favorite
freeware for text editing for both (textwrangler on mac, pspad on
windows), but my big question is, what are the best pixel editors for
each system.  I have found Pixen2 for the mac, though I have not had
much time to play around with it, but as of now I am just using Pain
on windows.  I know my questions are very technical like some (youll
get those when I settle down to write some code), but right now I am
just getting all my ideas to form and the tools necessary to start the
project.  So, favorite free pixel editors anyone?  I do have access to
the full CS2 suite, but that is often, not overkill, but not always
appropriate for what I want to do (if that makes sense).

Thanks again all,
Unteer