Re: [pygame] pygame is a disgrace

Bob Ippolito wrote:
On 2/15/07, Jer Juke <jollmel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yeah, you heard me. Normally I wouldn't feel any need
to pick out some random library and state how awful I
think it is. But this is not "some random library". It
is the "standard" game library for a most beautiful
language known far and wide for it's power and easy of
use, both when it comes to the language itself and
it's libraries.

The fact that Python is generally blessed with truly
magnificent libraries everywhere is what makes Pygame
stand so out. Pygame is in absolutely no way
magnificent or even slightly pythonic. It's just a
goddamn SDL wrapper.  Using the name Pygame for this
abhorrent library is an atrocity. It should be called
PySDL, and make it more obvious to the python
community that Pygame is yet to be properly created.

But that's not the worst part. PySDL (what you all
call Pygame) is actually a very useful library. It
does what it does QUITE WELL! It's perfect for
creating higher level libraries. BUT PYGAME DOESN'T
EVEN MANAGE TO BE PYGAME. Yes, I am talking about the
fact that even half a year after the official Python
2.5 came out, Pygame still does not EXIST FOR THIS
PLATFORM. I can sympathize with taking a month to
compile some new binaries. Developers do after all
have other things to do. Even a couple of months is
acceptable. But SERIOUSLY, a team of people that
maintain THE STANDARD F*CKING GAME PACKAGE USED BY A
GAZILLION OTHER PYTHON PROJECTS but can't make one
required update in the time-span of ONE HALF YEAR is a
disgrace. No one cares if you are in the process of
adding all sorts of awesome new crap to Pygame. Do you
guys even have any idea how many python modules use
Pygame for one reason or another? Until you actually
have Pygame 1.8, COMPILE A GODDAMN 2.5 VERSION FOR THE
OLD PYGAME!!

How about some honesty? How about replacing "we needed
an extra few weeks" on the pygame site with "we are
not able to adequately maintain this package. new
maintainers needed"?

I know whoever maintains pygame aren't "paid". They
don't "owe" anyone anything. But in my opinion, these
people are a disgrace and a detriment to python game
development efforts on the whole.

I think it would've taken a lot less time to compile some version (any version) of pygame for Python 2.5 than to write this message. You could've instead wrote a much shorter message about the fact that you compiled some version of pygame for python 2.5 on the platform you care about and included a link to where it could be obtained from.

Would've been a lot more productive than a l*ng f*ck*ng r*nt about... not much.

so why nobody did it yet? He is talking about windows and windows users dont usually compile much, it would be very useful for them to have a 2.5 installer. I am not running 2.5 on my windows machine yet otherwise i would do it myself.

enrike