[pygame] Automatic Import Problem

I noticed a problem over lunch. I was trying to re-incorporate that little 2D tiled graphics engine into my latest project (is there a commented version of that super-fast one someone posted?), and found that it seemed to be importing my "art" module, even though that module wasn't in the same directory. I think that Python was loading _a_ version of "art.py" from _somewhere_, and the fact that I can't tell from where bothers me. What are the circumstances in which this happens?