[pygame] pygame.display.flip() and framerate

Hello,

One can use the SDL pygame normally uses, or OpenGL.

I've noticed that each runs faster when nothing is drawn the the screen (no pygame.display.flip())--I can get very nice (100s or 1000s of frames/second this way).  When pygame.display.flip() is added, the framerate drops.  What's curious is that the SDL renderer can still achieve framerates around 200 or 300, but the OpenGL render seems limited to 60.  Any particular reason for this?  60 frames/second is a decent framerate, but such a limitation seems bizarre, even if it's not troublesome.

Ian