Re: [pygame] Options for smooth-scrolling in X-Windows

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 06:02:58PM +0000, Weeble wrote:

> 1. Don't use/support Linux.
> 2. Avoid scrolling backgrounds, so tearing isn't such a big deal.
> 3. Use OpenGL for all rendering, abandoning easy to use surfaces.
> 4. Super magic solution to get working VSYNC under X-windows.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have been playing pygame games in Linux for years, and SDL games on
Linux for years before that, and I have never once been bothered by
tearing in scrolling games. Never. I'm not saying that no tearing is
occuring, I'm just saying that if it has been occuring, it has never
been enough of a problem to draw my attention away from the gameplay.

Do you have any sample code I could try? I am curious if the tearing
that you are experiencing is worse than what I may have seen/ignored in
the past.

---
James Paige