Re: [pygame] Options for smooth-scrolling in X-Windows

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Weeble <clockworksaint@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would include an example of my game code, but it's very messy at the
moment and the first example really does show up the problem fairly
accurately on my machine. Two or three times every second a band of
tearing sweeps up the screen, and the otherwise smoothly moving
background appears to jump forward a few pixels as the band crosses
it. This is pretty much what I'd expect without vsync.

If you were getting a band of tearing traveling up the screen when you were locking to 60fps, then it sounds like your monitor's refresh rate is something other than 60. If your monitor's refresh was 60, you should be getting the tearing in either consistent or random places. The fact that it travels means that your game and monitor have different periodicities.

if you are saying it takes a couple seconds, maybe you have a 75Hz refresh rate, cause that would give you a 4 second cycle between when the game and screen would be in sync. The tearing being monitor refresh dependent would also explain why other people (say those with 60Hz monitors) wouldn't see such a thing.

Just out of curiousity, how does locking to 75fps look to you?