[pygame] virtual keyboard input problems under windows

Hi all-

I've written a simple pygame application which is meant to receive keystrokes from a third-party closed-source "virtual keyboard" program running under Windows.

I can successfully receive keystrokes by using the physical keyboard and even through Microsoft's own "On Screen Keyboard" which is distributed with the OS for accessibility purposes.

However I am unfortunately having no luck receiving keystrokes from this particular application (and that is the only means to interface with its output programmatically). I have at least confirmed the third-party application works with with other Windows applications such as Notepad.

    Can anyone recommend avenues to pursue in debugging this problem?

Is pygame (SDL) somehow talking directly to the keyboard device driver, so no pygame.event objects are getting created?

I've noticed elsewhere some details about SDL 1.3 having a rewritten, or at least different input model:

http://www.mail-archive.com/adonthell-devel@xxxxxxxxxx/msg00576.html

...would it make sense to try compiling the latest SVN of SDL 1.3 under Windows and building Pygame Reloaded against that?

Thanks in advance

Steve Castellotti