Re: [pygame] pygame on Nokia N900 ?

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 09:22 +0200, René Dudfield wrote:
I'd be interested to know how the n900 goes.  I've only seen one for a
very brief time... but it looks like something I'd be interested in
using - so what be interested to know what you think of it.

    I've been having lots of fun with mine.

    I swapped over to the n900 from a 1st generation iPhone as soon as it came out (pre-ordered online).

    As a phone, it admittedly lacks polish in areas, especially coming from the Apple experience. However it works well enough for daily purposes and I have no regrets.

    Bottom line, its a Debian ARM box that fits in your pocket, and all that entails. Put it this way, I jailbroke my iPhone and though it was cool I could SSH into it. However with the n900 I actually have a reason to do so, and find it to be a useful tool.

    Here's a fun project I've been putting together with pygame on the n900:

http://brainstorms.puzzlebox.info/

    Its lets you build robotic vehicles from LEGO Mindstorms, then steer them around with you mind, by using an EEG headset from Emotiv. The n900's camera feed can then be relayed back from the host PC for "tele-operation" transmitting back a live view from the robot's perspective. Its geared towards school projects, where kids can build their robots then race them after training on the headsets.

    Pygame is used for the interface, which can also be run straight on the n900 to drive around using just the touchscreen with no EEG (the LEGO Mindstorms communicate over Bluetooth). All Open Source of course (c:

Steve Castellotti
Puzzlebox Limited