Re: [pygame] DMs, what are you doing?!

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:27:19 -0800, B W <stabbingfinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm curious. :)
>
> Is anybody out there working on a dungeon crawler?
>
> My interests travel specifically along this line:
>
>    - RP with a storyline and character building
>    - PVE
>    - real-time combat and movement (not turn-based)
>    - melee-range-magic
>    - not too deep in stats or skills
>    - plans for network co-op a plus
>
> Gumm

I've wanted to make an RPG for many years, but never went farther with my
own code than building elements like sprite/tile engines, RPG data
structures and experimental battle systems.

(Examples:
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080126tactics.zip and
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080126tactics_source.zip -- tactical RPG
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080301colony.zip and
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080301colony_code.zip -- colony-themed RPG
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/dungeon_maker/ -- procedural dungeon map
maker
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/mission.py.txt -- RPG teamwork & foraging
mechanics
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/070629ShiningSeaDemo.zip and
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/070530ShiningSeaSource.zip -- Real-time
walk-around-a-big-tiled-map system )
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080604trade_game.zip and
http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/080610tradegame_source.zip -- trading game )

My problem is that end up flailing on each attempt, because I'm bored with
the mechanics of the "Final Fantasy" games I grew up with (and to some
extent even the sandbox "Elder Scrolls" games). I keep wanting to do
something with more innovative gameplay than a Roguelike or FF game. My
wish list would include:
-Well-integrated story and gameplay, as opposed to non-interactive
cutscenes interspersed with pointless battles
-Battles you won't win by mashing one button; maybe imitate the best
console RPG engines like "Grandia" and "Final Fantasy Tactics"/"Disgaea"
-NOT an MMORPG, because those are overdone, riddled with grinding, and
ludicrously hard to program
-Characters that're unusually interactive and intelligent, bearing in mind
that game AI seems to be a very different field than true AI; Bioware's
games are a step in the right direction

And anyway, RPGs are complex enough that they're hard to do solo, even for
something like a Roguelike. So I've got a bunch of ideas (I write better
than I code) and a bunch of half-baked demos of RPGish things.