Re: [pygame] Clang and ICC compiler support available for pgreloaded

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Marcus von Appen <mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> starting with SVN revision 2747, pgreloaded adds experimental support
> for the LLVM Clang C compiler and Intel's C compiler for building the C
> module extensions.
>
> While the ICC support is currently just a simple stub and untested (this
> will be improved over the next days), the LLVM Clang C compiler (with
> Clang 2.6.6) was verified to work in different Linux and BSD
> installations.
> They do not deal well with the typical Python C and ld flags at the
> moment, but this will be worked on :-).
>
> For those of you, who want to try them out, I strongly recommend to take
> a look at the LLVM Clang compiler. It's quite fast on compiling and
> supports a solid GCC ABI compatibility (building Python with GCC
> and pgreloaded with Clang works pretty well, for example).
>
> Regards
> Marcus

nice one!

Have you benchmarked Clang with pgreloaded yet?  Would be interested
to know how that goes...  I've found Clang to be slower than gcc 4.4.3
for some things when I tried it on a different project, but faster
than some old gcc versions (4.1 I think it was).

Some good competition in open source compilers now!  Both projects
seem to be getting quite good.

btw, tinycc is a really quick compiler too.  cinpy

cya.