Re: [pygame] Alternate to graphics modules

On 13-02-06 06:43 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
On 7 February 2013 10:29, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0n3s@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
You'd better start writing then :-)
At some level, you need to interface with the graphics drivers. Since Python
is an abstraction layer over C, this means either writing in C (not Python),
or using a package that does that for you. You must use some package in
Python to do low-level graphics--whether you write it yourself or no.

For a package that gives you low-level access, my recommendation is
PyOpenGL. It's lower-level than PyGlet and much cleaner, I think.
That's not quite right. PyOpenGL and pyglet exist at about the same
level architecturally. PyOpenGL does not provide an OpenGL context -
you need another library (like pyglet or pygame) to provide that.
Minor note: PyOpenGL does provide an OpenGL context (via GLUT), it's just not a very elegant or modern one :) . It *can* work with almost any external GUI library as well, but for demos/learning GLUT is often acceptable.

Have fun,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder